|This article is about the character. For the manga series, see Kinnikuman (manga). For the anime series, see Kinnikuman (anime).|
Suguru begins the series as a lazy and emotional man, one that wishes to become famous. He often chases after women, while moving from job to job, until the Chojin Olympics, where he finds his purpose as a chojin wrestler. He slowly grows a more serious personality, while developing close friendships with the Justice Chojin. At the end of the series, Kinnikuman is crowned king of Planet Kinniku. In the reboot, he returns to Earth to help defeat new evil forces.
In Kinnikuman Nisei, Suguru has lost his muscles. He explains to Mantaro that old age has robbed him of most of his physical prowess, but he's still able to employ grapples and leaves, and his knowledge and coordination are unaffected. He has a lot of the characteristics of his father, such as bickering with Mantaro. Suguru has respect for Mantaro and they maintain a healthy father/son relationship. Suguru - "a child at heart" - tried to get in Mantaro's good graces by spoiling him; he hid from Mantaro every trace of his past as a champion, wishing to be no more than a mere father to him. Even when Mantaro learned of his father's past, he still treasured the memories of his goofy, caring, simple-minded father.
Suguru is a very childish character. He is also very arrogant and believes himself to be more popular than he is in reality. He complains when he does not get his way, pouts when someone gets more attention then him, and is often downright lazy. Early in the series, he would often refuse to fight certain monsters unless he got something in return. However, underneath this childish behaviour lies a very noble heart, and when times are at their worst, Suguru's courage surpasses that of the greatest of Justice Chojins. He has been known to fight better upon how shameful or dishonourable his opponent is being. He realises honour and friendship has warmed the hearts of several an Evil Chojin. His personality is reflected in his voice in the anime, which deviates between high and screechy and low and serious.
Kinnikuman is a highly muscular man, who wears a mask that has large lips and exaggerated facial features, and the mask also combines with a 'fin' piece that runs down the back of his head. He has naturally black hair and blue eyes, with pale skin and very little clothes. If he does wear formal attire, it is usually in the form of unfashionable suits; a white suit to his wedding, a yellow suit with red swirls to dates and sometimes ceremonies. In his old age, he has a large stomach and is completely lacking in muscles.
Suguru is also lecherous and sometimes takes part in matches to impress women. Suguru often flirts with women, and has on numerous times tried to spy on his friends Mari Nikaido and Natsuko Shono. No women find him attractive except for Bibimba. However, when Bibimba first appears, it is a one-sided love on her part and he finds her more annoying than cute. By the time of the Seven Devil Chōjin Arc, he acknowledges her as his betrothed. During the Survivor Match for the Kinniku Throne Arc, he shows great concern for her and admits that he believes they are bound by the red string of fate.
Terryman is the best friend of Kinnikuman. The two meet very early on in their careers, in their early twenties, and are at first antagonistic to one another, but soon they socialise on a regular basis, even with other members of each other's social circles. They form a tag-team that lasts for the entirety of their career, and - even when they temporarily argue or part - always reunite to work together and support each other. They display an unconditional trust and affection, often listening to one another when they would listen to no one else. They are shown to be friends, even into the Kinnikman Nisei series.
In the beginning of the series, Suguru fights Kaiju by eating garlic and growing 30 meters tall. Despite his great strength and skill, Suguru is clumsy by nature. This causes most people to fear him more than the monsters he fights (due mostly to the possibility of him crashing into buildings while in his giant form). Even though a chojin's' wounds heal faster than a human's wound, it takes him longer to heal than a human.
- Main: Kinnikuman/Story
Kinnikuman grows up alone on Earth, after being accidentally abandoned by Mayumi Kinniku. He is found by Meat Alexandria, and proceeds to mature over time with Meat as his second, leading him to befriend Terryman. Kinnikuman enters a series of tournaments, increasing his amount of friends and trophies, and finally competes in the Survivor Match for the Kinniku Throne Arc, where he proves his worth as a member of the Kinniku Clan and learns of his long-lost brother: Ataru Kinniku. This leads to him proclaiming his love for Bibimba, before assuming the throne as king of Planet Kinniku.
- Main: Kinnikuman/Story (2011)
- Main: Kinnikuman/Story (Nisei)
Kinnikuman has aged over time, to the extent he is weakened. He requires his son, Mantaro Kinniku, to fight in his place when the Evil Chojin join forces as the d.M.p to attack Earth. Kinnikuman temporarily steps aside from his royal duties, so that he may go to the Hercules Factory with his son, and even fights against Mantaro as part of Mantaro's final graduation test. After Mantaro's graduation, Kinnikuman is infrequently seen and sometimes appears at vital moments to support his son.
In the Ultimate Chojin Tag Tournament Arc, a pair of Time Chojin go back to 1983. Kinnikuman refuses to believe the Time Chojin or the Time Warp 8 are from the future, before participating with Terryman as part of the Machineguns in the Ultimate Chojin Tag Tournament to defeat the New Generation participants. He eventually loses against the Muscle Brothers Nouveau in the semi-finals, where he realises that the New Generation were telling the truth, and goes on to support them.
Suguru's role in the anime is limited, and mostly replaced by Meat in his role, but he does still fight and lose against his son, Mantaro, so that he can graduate from the Hercules Factory. There is also a flashback in the volume 9 of the manga in which Suguru and Terryman fight before he leaves to become king on Kinniku Planet. The match ends up as a draw.
- Main: Kinnikuman/Fighting
The above article outlines Kinnikuman's career record and techniques.
Speech and Quotes
The majority of Suguru's dialogue is written in hiragana and most of his insults and vulgarities like Kono Yarou (コノヤロー, You bastard) were written in katakana, with hardly any kanji being used. This was probably meant to represent Suguru's lack of sophistication and intelligence. As the series progresses and he becomes more serious, more and more kanji are used in his dialogue. Suguru's typical way of saying "no" is Iya sa~! (いやさー!). He is also known for his humorous cries of pain like Owa~! (おわ～っ!), Gegee~! (ゲゲェー!), and Da ji ge de~ (だじげで～).
- Catchphrase: I don't even need the push of my farts! (屁のツッパリはいらんですよ, He no tsuppari wa Iran desu yo!)
- First Line: What, me? (なに わたしが, Nani, watashi ga?)
- Gyuudon Song (Manga): Great gyuudon for eighty years! (牛丼ひとすじ八十年!, Gyuudon hitotsuji hachi-juu-nen!)
- Gyuudon Song (Anime): (All I need is Gyudon for the next 300 years... Fast, delicious, and cheap too! (牛丼ひとすじ三百年 速いの旨いの安いの!, Gyuudon hitotsuji san-byaku-nen, hayai no umai no yasui no!)
- Fuu Rin Ka Zan: Quick like the wind!! Silent like the forest!! Conquer like the fire... Immovable like the mountain!! (早くこと風のごとく!! しずかなること林のごとく!! 侵掠すること火のごとく... 動かざること山のごとし, Hayaku koto Kaze no gotoku!! Shizuka naru koto Hayashi no gotoku!! Shinryaku-suru koto Hi no gotoku... Ugokazaru koto Yama no gotoshi!!)
- Main: Kinnikuman/Gallery
The above link includes a gallery of images related to Kinnikuan.
- In the original pilot manga, Kinnikuman was the bastard son of Ultra Father. Thus, he was the (illegitimate) eighth Ultra Brother. Of course, this origin was scrapped when the manga was serialised.
- Suguru's favourite food is gyūdon
- He will do almost anything if he is offered just one bowl. Though he mostly eats gyūdon, he also pigs out on a wide variety of other foods, and when he is not eating he is usually watching TV. He "trained" for the 21st Chōjin Olympics by eating chips and watching TV. He is stationed in Japan in Beverly Park and lives there with Meat.
- Suguru's name comes from Yomiuri Giants pitcher Suguru Egawa.
- Suguru appears in the Kinnikuman chapter of Super Kochikame where he has been brought to the Police Box by Reiko as a "lost child".
- In Mattel's M.U.S.C.L.E. toy line, his name was translated as "Muscleman" and he was the leader of the heroic Thug Busters.
- Favorite Food: Gyudon, Garlic, Morinaga Cocoa
- Least Favorite Food: Milk, Japanese scallion (anime)
- Hobbies: Watching professional wrestling,  sleeping,  and watching Manzai Comedians on TV.
- Policy: Flower-pattern tights on Tuesdays
- Favorite Celebrities: Hiromi Ōta, Ikue Sakakibara, Agnes Lum, Nana Takahara
- Other: Known for eating gyudon rather quickly. Karaoke repertoire contains over 500 songs, #18 being "Underwater Love Song".
- Theme Songs: "Kiseki no Gyakuten Fighter" by Akira Kamiya, and "Moeru Champion Kinnikuman" by Akira Kamiya
|Brocken Jr., Buffaloman, Geronimo, Kinnikuman, Robin Mask, Terryman, Warsman, Wolfman,|
|Chaos Avenir, Gazelleman, Kevin Mask, Mantaro Kinniku, Seiuchin, Terry the Kid|
|Bibimba, Fiona, Jacqueline Muscle, Okan, Sayuri Kinniku|
|Kinnikuman, Bibimba, Mayumi Kinniku, Sayuri Kinniku, Mantaro Kinniku, Ataru Kinniku, Tatsunori Kinniku, Sadaharu Kinniku|
|Horumon Clan, Churrasco Clan, Muscle Clan|
|Robin Clan, Terry Clan, Asura Clan, Kinkotsu Clan, Sneagator Clan, Brocken Clan,|
|Planet Kinniku, Fire of Inner Strength|