|This article is about the character. For the manga series, see Kinnikuman (manga). For the anime series, see Kinnikuman (anime).|
- 1 About
- 2 History
- 3 Anime Changes
- 4 Fighting
- 4.1 Techniques
- 4.2 The 48 Killer Techniques
- 4.3 Career Information
- 5 Speech and Quotes
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External Links
- 9 References
- 10 Navigation
Suguru begins the series as a lazy and emotional man, one that wishes to become famous. He often chases after women, while moving from job to job, until the Chojin Olympics, where he finds his purpose as a chojin wrestler. He slowly grows a more serious personality, while developing close friendships with the Justice Chojin. At the end of the series, Kinnikuman is crowned king of Planet Kinniku. In the reboot, he returns to Earth to help defeat new evil forces.
In Kinnikuman Nisei, Suguru has lost his muscles. He explains to Mantaro that old age has robbed him of most of his physical prowess, but he's still able to employ grapples and leaves, and his knowledge and coordination are unaffected. He has a lot of the characteristics of his father, such as bickering with Mantaro. Suguru has respect for Mantaro and they maintain a healthy father/son relationship. Suguru - "a child at heart" - tried to get in Mantaro's good graces by spoiling him; he hid from Mantaro every trace of his past as a champion, wishing to be no more than a mere father to him. Even when Mantaro learned of his father's past, he still treasured the memories of his goofy, caring, simple-minded father.
Suguru is a very childish character. He is also very arrogant and believes himself to be more popular than he is in reality. He complains when he does not get his way, pouts when someone gets more attention then him, and is often downright lazy. Early in the series, he would often refuse to fight certain monsters unless he got something in return. However, underneath this childish behaviour lies a very noble heart, and when times are at their worst, Suguru's courage surpasses that of the greatest of Justice Chojins. He has been known to fight better upon how shameful or dishonourable his opponent is being. He realises honour and friendship has warmed the hearts of several an Evil Chojin. His personality is reflected in his voice in the anime, which deviates between high and screechy and low and serious.
Kinnikuman is a highly muscular man, who wears a mask that has large lips and exaggerated facial features, and the mask also combines with a 'fin' piece that runs down the back of his head. He has naturally dark brown/black hair and blue eyes, with pale skin and very little clothes. If he does wear formal attire, it is usually in the form of unfashionable suits; a white suit to his wedding, a yellow suit with red swirls to dates and sometimes ceremonies. In his old age, he has a large stomach and is completely lacking in muscles.
Suguru is also lecherous and sometimes takes part in matches to impress women. Suguru often flirts with women, and has on numerous times tried to spy on his friends Mari Nikaido and Natsuko Shono. No women find him attractive except for Bibimba. However, when Bibimba first appears, it is a one-sided love on her part and he finds her more annoying than cute. By the time of the Seven Devil Chōjin Arc, he acknowledges her as his betrothed. During the Survivor Match for the Kinniku Throne Arc, he shows great concern for her and admits that he believes they are bound by the 'red string of fate'.
Terryman is the best friend of Kinnikuman. The two meet very early on in their careers, in their early twenties, and are at first antagonistic to one another, but soon they socialise on a regular basis, even with other members of each other's social circles. They form a tag-team that lasts for the entirety of their career, and - even when they temporarily argue or part - always reunite to work together and support each other. They display an unconditional trust and affection, often listening to one another when they would listen to no one else. They are shown to be friends, even into the Kinnikuman Nisei series.
In the beginning of the series, Suguru fights Kaiju by eating garlic and growing 30 meters tall. Despite his great strength and skill, Suguru is clumsy by nature. This causes most people to fear him more than the monsters he fights (due mostly to the possibility of him crashing into buildings while in his giant form). Even though a chojin's' wounds heal faster than a human's wound, it takes him longer to heal than a human.
- Main: Kinnikuman/History
Kinnikuman grows up alone on Earth, after being accidentally abandoned by Mayumi Kinniku. He is found by Meat Alexandria, and proceeds to mature over time with Meat as his second, leading him to befriend Terryman. Kinnikuman enters a series of tournaments, increasing his amount of friends and trophies, and finally competes in the Survivor Match for the Kinniku Throne Arc, where he proves his worth as a member of the Kinniku Clan and learns of his long-lost brother: Ataru Kinniku. This leads to him proclaiming his love for Bibimba, before assuming the throne as king of Planet Kinniku.
Kinnikuman has aged over time, to the extent he is weakened. He requires his son, Mantaro Kinniku, to fight in his place when the Evil Chojin join forces as the d.M.p to attack Earth. Kinnikuman temporarily steps aside from his royal duties, so that he may go to the Hercules Factory with his son, and even fights against Mantaro as part of Mantaro's final graduation test. After Mantaro's graduation, Kinnikuman is infrequently seen and sometimes appears at vital moments to support his son.
In the Ultimate Chojin Tag Tournament Arc, a pair of Time Chojin go back to 1983. Kinnikuman refuses to believe the Time Chojin or the Time Warp 8 are from the future, before participating with Terryman as part of the Machineguns in the Ultimate Chojin Tag Tournament to defeat the New Generation participants. He eventually loses against the Muscle Brothers Nouveau in the semi-finals, where he realises that the New Generation were telling the truth, and goes on to support them.
Suguru's role in the anime is limited, and mostly replaced by Meat in his role, but he does still fight and lose against his son, Mantaro, so that he can graduate from the Hercules Factory. There is also a flashback in the volume 9 of the manga in which Suguru and Terryman fight before he leaves to become king on Kinniku Planet. The match ends up as a draw.
- See also: Burning Inner Strength
Burning Bazooka (火事場のバズーカ, Kajiba no Bazuuka)
- Used during the fight with Planetman. Planetman had put a map of the world on Kinnikuman's body, and hitting a country would harm Seigi Chojins from that country. Planetman then launched his Apollo Dynamite fireball at Kinnikuman's homeland of Japan, but Kinnikuman caught it and threw it back.
Burning Megaton Punch (火事場のメガトンパンチ, Kajiba no Megaton Panchi)
- Used during the fight with Devil Shogun. A super strong punch powerful enough to pierce Shogun's Diamond Armor.
Burning Bridge (火事場のブリッジ, Kajiba no Burijji)
- Used during the fight with Devil Shogun. Shogun used his godly powers to transport the weakened Seigi chojin's from their prison bubbles to beneath the ring, forcing them to hold it up or be crushed. Kinnikuman arched his body after being knocked down and stayed like that as Shogun beat on him, protecting the Justice Chojin from being crushed.
Burning Magnet Power (火事場のマグネット・パワー, Kajiba no Magunetto Pawaa)
- Used during the fight with the Hell Missionaries. Kinnikuman had absorbed so much Magnet Power that he was able to use it himself.
Burning Uneven Bars (火事場の段ちがい平行棒, Kajiba no Danchigai Heikoubou)
- Used during the fight with the Hell Missionaries. While Neptune King and Neptuneman tried to use their Magnet Power and do the Cross Bomber, Kinnikuman broke free of the magnetic hold and kicked Neptune King in the face. He then (while still in midair from the kick) backflipped and kicked Neptuneman in the face.
Burning Big Wave (火事場のビッグ・ウェーブ, Kajiba no Biggu Weebu)
- Used during the fight with Mr. VTR. Knocked into the water around the ring, Kinnikuman surfed back to the ring on a piece of debris.
Kinniku Buster & Variations
- See also: Kinniku Buster
- See also: Kinniku Driver
- See also: Muscle Spark
- See also: 48 Killer Techniques
48 Killer Techniques (48の殺人技, Yonjūhachi no Satsujin Waza)
- Part One of Prince Kamehame's 100 Special Techniques, taught to Kinnikuman in order to defeat Jesse Maivia. It should be noted that the Kinniku Buster and Kinniku Driver are among these.
Fu Rin Ka Zan (風林火山)
- See Also: Fu Rin Ka Zan
Space Trip (宇宙旅行 Uchū Ryokō)
- A punch strong enough to send an opponent flying towards The Moon (though it could reach Pluto, if the moon was not in the way).
Flying Punch (フライングパンチ)
- Kinnikuman jumps into the air and throws a punch at his opponent as he descends.
Devil Fire (デビルファイア)
- An aura-based attack that only appears in Movie 2.
Chojin Hanging (超人絞殺刑, Chōjin Kōsatsu Kei)
- First used on Neptuneman during the Dream Tag Tournament. With his opponent near the ropes, Kinnikuman jumps over their head. He then grabs their wrists and wraps his legs around their neck, pulling down on them and driving them into the rope. He usually uses it as a submission hold. In Nisei it is renamed the Ultimate Death Penalty (アルティメット・デスペナルティ).
The 52 Submissions
- See also: 52 Submissions
52 Submissions (52の関節技, Gojuuni no Kansetsu Waza), Part Two of Prince Kamehame's 100 Special Techniques. He originally meant to teach Kinnikuman them during the Dream Tag Tournament but died before he could, so he used The Omegaman taking his soul and transforming into him as the perfect opportunity.
Face Flash (フェイスフラッシュ), A very special technique that can only be used by members of the Kinniku Clan. Kinnikuman lifts his mask, creating a very bright and powerful flash. It has no specific purpose as it can perform several different tasks. Kinnikuman has used it to cleanse a river (unintentionally), bend metal, shield himself and Robin Mask, attack Super Phoenix, and revive his fallen comrades.
The Niku Curtain
Niku Curtain (肉のカーテン, Niku no Kaaten), First used during the fight with Warsman. A special defence stance developed by Kinnikuman's grandfather Tatsunori based on Silverman's Perfect Defender technique. Kinnikuman holds his forearms in front of his face in an upside down V. Mayumi claims that it is impenetrable. In the first anime it was called the Kinniku Guard (キン肉ガード).
Niku Curtain Attack (肉のカーテンアタック, Niku no Kaaten Atakku)
- First used during the fight with Ashuraman. Kinnikuman launches himself horizontally towards an opponent while performing the Niku Curtain.
Eisbahn Attack (アイスバーン・アタック)
Sun Muscle (サン・マッスル)
Niku-dan Elbow Drop (肉弾エルボードロップ)
Tower Bridge (タワーブリッジ)
Black Hole Suplex (ブラックホールスープレックス)
Kinniku Landmine (キン肉地雷, Kinniku Jirai)
Muscle Blizzard (マッスルブリザード)
Elbow Storm (エルボーの嵐, Eruboo no Arashi)
Diamond Headbutt (ダイアモンド・ヘッドバト)
Texas Condor Kick (テキサス・コンドルキック)
Long Horn Bomber (ロングホーン・ボンバー)
Hawk Hunting (ホークハンチング)
Rodeo Skip (ロデオスキップ)
Muscle Lariat (マッスルラリアット)
Double Brainbuster of Friendship (友情のダブルブレーンバスター, Yuujou no Daburu Bureen Basutaa)
Double Camel Clutch of Friendship (友情のダブルキャメル・クラッチ, Yuujou no Daburu Kyameru Kuratchi)
Standard Pro Wrestling Holds
- Main Article: General Wrestling Techniques
It should be noted that Kinnikuman's overall wrestling style is based on that of wrestling legend Antonio Inoki, of whom Suguru was a huge fan. The Back Drop and Neck Breaker Drop were used most frequently, the Back Drop is even considered one of his trademarks. Though only used once by Suguru, the Enzuigiri was one of Inoki's most popular finishers.
- 53rd Disco Heavyweight Champion
- Space Chojin Heavyweight
- 20th Chojin Olympic Champion
- Hawaii Chojin Heavyweight (3rd)
- WSA Chojin Champion
- 21st Chojin Olympic Champion (First ever to win twice consecutively)
- Chojin Olympic Champion [defeated Buffaloman to get it back]
- Dream Tag Tournament Champion (with Terryman)
- Survivor Match for the Kinniku Throne Champion
- 2nd Kinnikuman Popularity Contest (7th Place)
- 3rd Kinnikuman Popularity Contest (6th Place)
- 4th Kinnikuman Popularity Contest (3rd Place)
- 1st Kinnikuman Nisei Popularity Contest (8th Place)
- 2nd Kinnikuman Nisei Popularity Contest (19th Place)
- 3rd Kinnikuman Nisei Popularity Contest (15th Place)
- 1st Kinnikuman Nisei ~All Chojin Dai Shingeki~ Popularity Contest (10th Place)
- Team Kinnikuman: Advance Guard (First Round) → Commander (Semifinals)→ Advance Guard→ Commander (Finals)
- 58th King of Planet Kinniku
- Miraculous Comeback Fighter (奇跡の逆転ファイター/Kiseki no Gyakuten Faitaa)
- Last 5 Seconds Comeback Fighter (ラスト5秒の逆転ファイター/Rasuto Go-byou no Gyakuten Faitaa)
- Blazing Kinnikuman (炎のキン肉マン/Honoo no Kinnikuman)
- Burning Champion (燃えるチャンピオン/Moeru Chanpion)
- Blazing Hard Worker (炎の努力家/Honoo no Doryokuka)
- Big Ears Suguru (大耳のスグル/Dai Mimi no Suguru)
- Gyudon Fiend (牛丼野郎/Gyuudon Yarou)
- Loser Chojin (ダメ超人/Dame chojin)
- Clumsy Chojin(ドジ超人/Doji chojin)
- Last Pick Chojin (おちこぼれ超人/Ochikobore chojin)
- Pig (ブタ/Buta)
- Pigman (ブタマン/Butaman)
- Garlicman (ニンニク男/Ninniku-otoko)
- Worst Hero of the '80's (80年代の最悪英雄/Hachijuu Nendai no Saiaku Eiyuu)
- Fighting Transistor Radio (戦うのトランジスタラジオ/Tatakau no Toranzisuta Rajio)
- Muscle Devil (マッスル・デビル)
- Shame of Japan (日本の面汚し/Nihon no Tsurayogoshi)
- Gossip Demon of the Chojin World
Win-Loss Record (Singles)
- X Ragon
- X Woo
- X Gorō
- X M1
- X Zetton
- X Godzilla
- O Okamaras (Kinniku Flash)
- O Eragines (Kinniku Flash)
- O Unnamed Bully Kaiju (Kinniku Flash)
- O Okamaras, Eragines, Abdullah, Sheikian, Acrobat-Seijin (Forfeit)
- O Gorizaemon (Throw)
- O Goriki (Faces made during Bear Hug made Gouriki laugh so hard he broke his spine)
- X King Ton (Judo: Knocked onto his back, Boxing: Pummelled with punches, Wrestling: Body Dive→ Body Splash) 
- O Meat Alexandria's Monster Robot (Kinniku Flash)
- X Nessie (Passed out after being licked in the face)
- Δ Franky (Pouted when the kids didn't want him to save them)
- O Zangyaku Seijin's Father
- O Zangyaku-Seijin (Kinniku Flash)
- O Iwao (Kinniku Flash)
- O Nachiguron (Back Drop)
- O Dai King (Punched his head off)
- O Iwao (Back Drop)
- O Kinkotsuman (Atomic Drop)
- Δ Giant Frog (Wife came to get him)
- O Sokonashi-seijin (Cut his stomach open)
- O Tendon (Kinniku Flash)
- O Nagaashigon (Tackle)
- O Apollo the Giant (Counter Punch)
- O Kinkotsuman's Corps (Gasoline Powered Kinniku Flash)
- O Octopus Dragon (Kinniku Flash)
- Δ Ukon (Interference from Mammra)
- O Burugorasu (Kinniku Flash)
- O Monster Turkey (Kinniku Flash)
- O Gonta (Bop on the head)
- O Kani Base (Janken)
- Ο Curry Cook (Forfeit)
- Ο Ramenman (Eisbahn Attack)
- Ο Robin Mask (Mexican Rolling Clutch Hold)
- X Prince Kamehame (Back Flip)
- Ο Jesse Maivia (Fū Rin Ka Zan)
- Δ Robin Mask (No Contest)
- X Shishkeba Boo (Simultaneous Head-Fin Slash)
- Ο King Cobra (chojin Candle)
- Ο Benkiman (Toilet Clog)
- Ο Wolfman (Kannuki Suplex)
- Ο Warsman (Kinniku Buster)
- Ο SteCase King (Kinniku Buster)
- O Black Hole (Niku-dan Elbow Drop)
- Ο Atlantis (Kinniku Buster)
- Ο Buffaloman (Double Kinniku Buster)
- Ο Sneagator (Body Slam)
- O Planetman (Black Hole Suplex)
- O Asuraman (Incomplete Kinniku Driver) (26 minutes, 13 seconds) 
- O Devil Shogun (Kinniku Driver)
- Ο Tyrant (Kinniku Buster)
- O The Hawkman (Kinniku Driver)
- O Mister VTR (chojin Hanging)
- X Mixer Taitei (Elbow Drop)
- O Kinnikuman Zebra (Incomplete Muscle Spark)
- O Satan Cross (Complete Muscle Spark)
- O Omegaman Dexia (Muscle Spark)
- O Kinnikuman Super Phoenix (Muscle Spark)
- Δ Terryman (Time-Up)
- Δ Robin Mask (No Contest)
- O Peek-a-Boo (Fū Rin Ka Zan)
- O Nemesis (Muscle Spark) (64m 28s)
- O Pirateman (Muscle Spark)
- O Buki Boy (Kinniku Buster)
- X Kinniku Mantaro (Kinniku Driver)
Win/Loss Record (Tag)
- O Tigerian and Abdullah (Back Drop)
- Δ The Emperors (Time-Up)
- O Monster Master/Student Combo (Jumping Neck Breaker Drop)
- O Blood Illusions (Calf Branding)
- O Hell Missionaries [Round 2] (Muscle Docking)
- O Hell Missionaries [Round 3] (KO)
- O Celebrities (Muscle Docking)
- O Carpet Bombings (Muscle Docking)
- X Muscle Brothers Nouveau (Muscle Evolution)
- O 4D Killer Combo (Muscle Docking)
- O Stray Devil Chojin Combo (Muscle Docking)
- X Hell Missionaries [Round 1] (Cross Bomber)
Win/Loss Record (Anime Only)
- Δ Black King (Time Out)
- O Black King (Fuu Rin Ka Zan→ Kinniku Buster)
- X Kyoaku Chojin
- O Octopus Dragon III (Fuu Rin Ka Zan→ Kinniku Buster)
- Δ Shishkeba Boo (Interrupted)
- O Dai Ukon (Kinniku Buster)
- Δ Black Satan (Interference from Buffaloman)
- O Black Emperor (Kinniku Driver)
- Δ Stone Satan (Interference from Buffaloman)
- O Ukon III (He no Tsuppari)
- O Satan King (Kinniku Driver)
- O Hydra King (chojin Southern Cross→ Kinniku Driver)
- O Shuten Doji (Fuu Rin Ka Zan→ Kinniku Driver)
- O Devil Shogun (Fuu Rin Ka Zan→ Kinniku Driver→ Kinniku Buster)
- Δ Senshi Chojin (Interference from Justice Chojin)
- O Big Shinjo (Neo Kinniku Buster)
- O Iron Mask (Head Butt)
- O Gorota (Kinniku Buster)
- O Kareiyasu (Kinniku Buster)
- O Yama Khan (Fuu Rin Ka Zan)
- Δ Dirty Baron (Interrupted by volcanic eruption)
- X Buffaloman (Hurricane Mixer)
- Δ Dirty Baron (Interrupted by Buffaloman)
- Ο Buffaloman (Sword of Justice)
- Ο Wild Bakuto (Sword of Justice)
- Ο Dirty Baron (Sword of Justice)
Speech and Quotes
The majority of Suguru's dialogue is written in hiragana and most of his insults and vulgarities like Kono Yarou (コノヤロー, You bastard) were written in katakana, with hardly any kanji being used. This was probably meant to represent Suguru's lack of sophistication and intelligence. As the series progresses and he becomes more serious, more and more kanji are used in his dialogue. Suguru's typical way of saying "no" is Iya sa~! (いやさー!). He is also known for his humorous cries of pain like Owa~! (おわ～っ!), Gegee~! (ゲゲェー!), and Da ji ge de~ (だじげで～).
- Catchphrase: I don't even need the push of my farts! (屁のツッパリはいらんですよ, He no tsuppari wa Iran desu yo!)
- First Line: What, me? (なに わたしが, Nani, watashi ga?)
- Gyuudon Song (Manga): Great gyuudon for eighty years! (牛丼ひとすじ八十年!, Gyuudon hitotsuji hachi-juu-nen!)
- Gyuudon Song (Anime): (All I need is Gyudon for the next 300 years... Fast, delicious, and cheap too! (牛丼ひとすじ三百年 速いの旨いの安いの!, Gyuudon hitotsuji san-byaku-nen, hayai no umai no yasui no!)
- Fuu Rin Ka Zan: Quick like the wind!! Silent like the forest!! Conquer like the fire... Immovable like the mountain!! (早くこと風のごとく!! しずかなること林のごとく!! 侵掠すること火のごとく... 動かざること山のごとし, Hayaku koto Kaze no gotoku!! Shizuka naru koto Hayashi no gotoku!! Shinryaku-suru koto Hi no gotoku... Ugokazaru koto Yama no gotoshi!!)
- In the original pilot manga, Kinnikuman was the illegitimate son of Ultra Father (reference needed). Thus, he was the (illegitimate) eighth Ultra Brother. This origin was retconned when the manga was serialised.
- He will do almost anything if he is offered just one bowl. He mostly eats gyūdon, but he also overeats a wide variety of other foods, and when he is not eating he is usually watching television. He "trained" for the 21st Chōjin Olympics by eating chips and watching TV.
- Suguru's name comes from Yomiuri Giants pitcher: Suguru Egawa
- Suguru appears in the Kinnikuman chapter of Super Kochikame where he has been brought to the Police Box by Reiko as a "lost child".
- In Mattel's M.U.S.C.L.E. toy line, his name was translated as "Muscleman" and he was the leader of the heroic Thug Busters.
- Favorite Food: Gyudon, Garlic, Morinaga Cocoa
- Least Favorite Food: Milk, Japanese scallion (anime)
- Hobbies: Watching professional wrestling,  sleeping,  and watching Manzai comedians on televisio.
- Policy: Flower-pattern tights on Tuesdays
- Favorite Celebrities: Hiromi Ōta, Ikue Sakakibara, Agnes Lum, Nana Takahara
- Other: Karaoke repertoire contains over 500 songs, #18 being "Underwater Love Song".
- Theme Songs: "Kiseki no Gyakuten Fighter" by Akira Kamiya, and "Moeru Champion Kinnikuman" by Akira Kamiya
- Gyudon Lovers Club President
- Kinniku Monster Catching Corporation Chief (Self Proclaimed)
- Nana Takahara Fan Club Member #9,999
|Brocken Jr., Buffaloman, Geronimo, Kinnikuman, Robin Mask, Terryman, Warsman, Wolfman,|
|Chaos Avenir, Gazelleman, Kevin Mask, Mantaro Kinniku, Seiuchin, Terry the Kid|
|Bibimba, Fiona, Jacqueline Muscle, Okan, Sayuri Kinniku|
|Kinnikuman, Bibimba, Mayumi Kinniku, Sayuri Kinniku, Mantaro Kinniku, Ataru Kinniku, Tatsunori Kinniku, Sadaharu Kinniku|
|Horumon Clan, Churrasco Clan, Muscle Clan|
|Robin Clan, Terry Clan, Asura Clan, Kinkotsu Clan, Sneagator Clan, Brocken Clan,|
|Planet Kinniku, Fire of Inner Strength|